Saturday, October 22, 2011

HUT

    The black sedan pulled into the parking lot, and screeched to a stop. I could feel my temperature rising - threatening to boil my blood and cook my insides as though I were a thanksgiving turkey.

    "Goddamn it" the driver shouted while reaching for my belt.

     I slumped over top of him, no longer in control of my body. I willed myself to keep my eyes open and attempted to speak. I begged my lips to form words. I had to get inside. I had to be contained. I needed my molecular structure to be cooled immediately and brought within acceptable levels of vibration. But no words would form, no orders would pass my lips. Unconsciousness descended and I floated in the void waiting for rescue...or damnation.

    "She's coming to" murmured a voice that seemed hollow and faint.

    My eyelids fluttered open and I peered into the face of a trusted colleague.

    "Marie?" I inquired, "Am I..."

   I raised my head and looked around the tiny enclosure. The capsule was small, just 18 inches high, and 3 feet wide. I touched the sides and felt the cool chill emanating from the walls.

  "Looks like you got me into the coffin just in the nick of time!"

   "You have no idea how close you came Carly. That was immensely stupid. You had a time frame. You should have stuck to it" She shook her head in frustration.

    "Don't start Marie, you aren't the one whose jumping tomorrow, are you? I may not come back. I - they- deserved a good bye".

    "You knew what you were signing up for Carly, for God sakes this is your project"

    "Yes I did, and I don't regret my decision, if this works...my god think of the implications. But they didn't sign up for this. My family never agreed to have their lives turned upside down. I had to give them something to hang onto, some explanation, and I refuse to regret that either" I glanced up sharply and stared at the woman whom I had grown so close to, the person who had helped design the experiment and silently pleaded with her to understand.

    "Alright Carly" she sighed, "Get some sleep...we'll start tomorrow".

   I smiled broadly, "Forgiven me already? You never could resist my eloquent charms".

   "Bull shit" she disguised behind a cough, "Go to sleep!"
  
   I watched her exit the room and wondered what it might be like...visiting another universe. I remembered our first theoretical conversations of inter dimensional travel - the science was young but exciting. It had recently been discovered that at a subatomic level it was possible to send an electron to a separate universe - for it to exist here and there, simultaneously. The now famed quantum physicist had cooled the electron to a drastic temperature and then deprived it of oxygen - which prevented the atom from vibrating. Somehow the combination created the perfect environment for inter dimensional multiverse travel.

   We worked from there, testing different theories, moving to more complex particles, eventually one celled organisms, and now after many years - the attempt for human uni travel, or HUT - as we dubbed it. Through gene manipulation and a regime of drugs I have created in myself a type of tuning fork. I vibrate down to my subatomic particles, the vibrations in turn keep me warm enough to survive subzero temperature with very little damage to my cells - the tricky part will be surviving oxygen deprivation - which is why my trip will be short to say the least. Without oxygen to vibrate my being, something I do not need help with, I will cease to exist here, and yet it will appear as though I never left. I will vibrate, but remain still. By definition, I will travel interdimensionally. In those few minutes I will jump from here to there and hopefully back again.

   I let out a puff of air which frosted the glass in front of me. Tomorrow I would leave this world for another and become a bigger part, of not only this universe, but hopefully the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment